The goal of Priority Axis 13 is to develop modern university centres, especially those which train specialists in modern technologies.
This goal will be achieved through two objectives:
- modernization of higher education infrastructure and increasing of the numbers of students taking up priority subjects at universities;
- improvement of the quality of university education through the use of ICTs.
Under the priority, universities (as defined in Article 2 of the Higher Education Act of 25 July 2005 (Dz. U. of 2005 No. 164, item 1365) applying for support must:
- be leading academic centres;
- meet recognized international education standards;
- have been positively evaluated by the State Accreditation Committee;
- have appropriate teaching potential, allowing them to offer 1st degree and 2nd degree university studies;
- offer courses in fields which in the future will have the greatest impact on the competitiveness of the economy and on its attractiveness to investors. These fields include so called priority subjects of the IaE OP, i.e.: architecture and town planning; control engineering and robotics; biology; biotechnology; building engineering; chemistry; electronics and telecommunication; electrical engineering; power engineering; pharmacy; physics; engineering physics; geodesy and cartography; mining and geology; computer science; IT and econometrics; biomedical engineering; chemical and process engineering; materials engineering; environmental engineering; aviation and astronautics, mathematics; mechanics and machine design; mechatronics; metallurgy; environmental protection, chemical technology; transport as well as modern technologies in medicine (medicine, dentistry).
3. TYPES OF PROJECTS
Eligible projects include investment projects implemented by universities, consisting in construction, conversion and modernization of existing university infrastructure (construction of modern lecture rooms and laboratories), provision of equipment used for teaching as well as other state-of-the-art solutions allowing to use ICT for teaching, including modifications of existing infrastructure to meet the requirements of new equipment, construction, expansion or modernization of safe broadband computer networks linked to regional or national backbone networks. Auxiliary infrastructure used by students (e.g. social facilities, sports and recreation facilities, libraries), other than student accommodation facilities, may also be funded, but such expenditure cannot exceed 25% of total project expenditure. Priority will be given to projects that will create the conditions for international studies.
The amount allocated for Priority 13 of the IaE OP 2007 - 2013 is euro 588 235 294.00, including euro 500 000 000.00 from the EU (European Regional Development Fund) and euro 88 235 294.00 from the National Centre for Research and Development.
5. EXPENDITURE ELIGIBILITY PERIOD
The IaE OP eligibility period begins on 1 January 2007, and ends on 31 December 2015. Expenditure outside this period will not be eligible.
6. EXPECTED RESULTS
Projects implemented under Priority Axis 13 will allow universities to:
- improve the quality of education, especially in areas related to modern technologies, and make priority subjects more attractive to students;
- increase the share of priority subject graduates in the total number of graduates;
- improve the access of students to modern teaching tools and ICTs used in the teaching process, including broadband internet;
- create the conditions for greater involvement of technical universities in European education and research projects;
- participate more fully in international programmes and meet European academic standards;
- increase the number of places available for students who wish to take up priority subjects,
- increase the share of students of priority subjects in the total number of university students.